It’s that time of year again… Time to start thinking about cheap entertainment to keep your kids busy this summer.
With that in mind, I’ve compiled a list of free (or at least cheap) summer movie promos.
In case you’re not aware, many movie theaters show second-run G or PG movies for kids on weekday mornings throughout the summer. Quite often, they do this for free, though sometimes they charge a buck or two for admission.
What follows is a list of 15 theater chains that are offering summer movie programs. If your favorite theater isn’t included, call them and ask for details. I tried to catch most major chains, but this list certainly isn’t exhaustive.
Note: If you have info on additional theater chains, please post it in the comments. I’ll do my best to add info as it becomes available.
Free summer movies
- Bow-Tie Cinemas (
link) – Free movies on Tuesdays & Wednesdays from June 25th through August 21st.
- Carmike Cinemas (link) – $4 admission including popcorn, drink, and snack (meh, not that cheap) on weekday mornings from June 3rd through August 9th.
- Cinemark Theaters (link) – 10 films for $5 or $1/each at the door. Days and dates vary by location.
- Classic Cinemas (link) – Movies for $1/person, Wednesday mornings from June 12th through August 7th.
- Clearview Cinemas (link) – Free movies on Wednesday & Thursday mornings from July 10/11 through August 21/22.
- Cobb Theaters (link) – Free movies on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays. Dates may vary by location, but generally June 11th through August 1st.
- Georgia Theater Company (link) – $1 movies on Tuesday & Thursday mornings in June and July.
- The Grand Theatre (strike>link) – $3.50 admission including popcorn and drink (also not that cheap) on Tuesday & Wednesday mornings. Dates vary by location.
- Harkins Theaters (link) – 10 movies for $7 or $2/each. Weekday mornings from May 27th through August 2nd.
- Malco Theaters (link) – $2 movies on Tuesdays & Wednesdays from June 4th through July 31st.
- Marcus Theaters (link) – $2 movies on Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday mornings from June 18th through August 15th.
- Marquee Cinemas (link) – Free movies on Mondays & Tuesdays for eight weeks. Dates vary by location.
- Muvico Theaters (
link) – Free movies on Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday mornings from June 11th through August 15th.
- Regal/Edwards/UA (link) – $1 movies on Tuesdays & Wednesdays for nine weeks. Dates vary by location.
- Showcase Cinemas (link) – Free movies (with a book report) on Wednesday mornings from July 10th through August 7th.
For the record, AMC dropped their “Summer Movie Camp” back in 2010 and I can’t find any evidence that they’ve brought it back. Some individual locations might be running special promos, but the chain as a whole isn’t doing it. Bummer, huh?