Last night, while perusing the news, I ran across a story about the body of an Illinois lottery winner being exhumed. He died shortly after picking up his winnings, and the toxicology report now shows that he was poisoned.
Doctors apparently initially assumed that he died of natural causes, but a call from a relative prompted them to run a slate of toxicology tests. Lo and behold, they found evidence of cyanide poisoning, and have since ruled his death a homicide.
So… The next time you dream of winning the lottery, consider the possible downsides. In addition to worrying about the financial problems that can follow a sudden windfall, you have to be on the lookout for murderous family members.
And now… Here are some articles that caught my eye this past week:
- Dealing with Clutter in an Effort to Simplify – One man’s struggle to win the never-ending battle against clutter.
- Is it Worth Trading Your Index Fund for a Cheaper Model? – Costs matter, but don’t forget the (possible) tax hit from selling appreciated shares.
- How to Rollover Your HSA on Your Own – Want to move HSA funds without paying a transfer fee? Here’s how.
- Divorce as a Social Security Strategy? – Sad but true, you can increase your Social Security benefits by getting divorced.
- Phase-Out of 75W Incandescent Light Bulbs – 100W bulbs disappeared in 2012. Now we’re bidding adieu to 75W bulbs. Once distributors run out, that’s it.
That’s it. Hope you’re having a great weekend.