This past week, the USPS announced plans to stop Saturday mail delivery. They’ve apparently offered this service since 1863, but it will soon be a thing of the past.
Sadly, even this relatively drastic move will do little to solve their financial woes. These problems are largely a byproduct of being told to operate as an independent business while being subject to strict Congressional oversight (read: meddling).
It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out. One thing seems certain: this isn’t the last we’ll be hearing about service changes as the USPS struggles to remain viable.
And now… Here are some articles that caught my eye this past week:
- Tax Breaks for 2012 – This is a nice rundown of tax breaks that shouldn’t be overlooked when preparing your 2012 tax return.
- Hidden Inflation – Even when prices aren’t increasing, there’s a good chance you’re dealing with inflation — especially at the grocery store.
- Diversify Bonds Funds with CDs – There’s nothing wrong with holding cash when the yields are better than riskier bonds.
- How to Value Your Business – This is a handy read for small biz owners who are wondering how to estimate the value of their business.
- Beware of Backtested Stock Market Strategies – Always remember: past performance is no guarantee of future results.
- Can I Live Like a Millionaire? – Save hard, live on less, and work long. For the record, 1 million GBP is roughly 1.58 million USD.