We just enjoyed watching one of our kids play in a weekend soccer tournament. Enjoyed it until the end, that is. As it turns out, the final game ended in a tie and ultimately went to penalty kicks to decide the winner. And yes, we lost.
Talk about a deflating end to an otherwise excellent weekend. But at least our son wasn’t the goalkeeper. Despite having played great all weekend, that poor kid walked off the field feeling as if he had singlehandedly lost the game.
Oh well, such is life, and there are valuable lessons to be learned in defeat.
And now… Here are some articles that caught my eye this past week:
- Low Costs or High Match? — If given the choice between low investment costs and a high employer match, which 401(k) would you choose?
- Waiting to Invest Doesn’t Make Things Easier — Your crystal ball won’t be any clearer tomorrow than it is today.
- Do Recessions Increase Productivity? — Interestingly, yes, they do. Recessions seem to spur worker productivity.
- When Will CD Rates Go Up? — Interest rates have begun to rise but CDs haven’t budged. In other words, they’re not as attractive as they used to be.
- Passive Index Investing Seems Wrong — Choosing investments primarily due to their low cost? Surely you must be joking.
That’s it. I hope you had a great weekend.