According to investor, entrepreneur, bestselling author, and generally bright guy James Altucher, the key to winning Monopoly is St. James Place. Actually, it’s the orange properties and below. Buy them, build hotels on them, and “forget about the expensive stuff.” Oh, and go after the railroads, too.
I’ll just have to take him at his word on that since he’s (apparently) run the numbers and I most definitely haven’t. Any real world opinions?
But the real point of the article linked above is a nugget of wisdom about how to get better at something. Immerse yourself in it. Completely. Of course, this is made far, far easier if you love whatever it is that you’re trying to master.
And now… Here are some articles that caught my eye this past week:
- Is the Value in the Education or the Diploma? — Some argue that all you’re really paying for at college is a diploma. I would argue that a university setting provides a ton of added educational value, but only if you take advantage of it.
- Get Overpaid for What You Do — An interesting perspective on what you earn vs. the value that you deliver. Are you overpaid? If not, get cracking.
- Retirement Lengths, Withdrawal Rates, and Failure Probabilities — Some nice graphs for those trying to figure out how much is enough. The upshot is that the “safe” in safe withdrawal rate is relative — and dependent on your assumptions.
- Home Warranties: Yay or Nay? — My view: they’re generally not worth the money, but can be a good enticement if you’re selling your home.
- Tax Planning for a Bequest — Some important considerations if you’re planning on leaving a significant chunk of assets behind. Worth a read.
- Dollar for Dollar Debt Reduction — A nice testament to the power of making extra, principal-only payment when attacking your mortgage.
That’s it. Hope you had a great weekend.